Gokarna is a small temple town situated in the Karnataka state and can be comfortably visited by booking a Bangalore to Gokarna bus. It is a prominent place in Hindu mythology and attracts a lot of pilgrimage visitors over the year. This place is well connected by roads to neighbouring cities like Goa, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc.
The literal translation of Gokarna in Hindi is 'Cow's Ear'. Since it is believed in the Hindu mythology that Lord Shiva took birth from a cow's ear, the city was named after it. Many devotees of Lord Shiva from all over India travel to Gokarna to seek his blessings.
Gokarna is situated at the ear-shaped convergence point of rivers Gangavali and Aghanashini. It is near the Karwar coast of the Arabian sea.
The culture of Gokarna has drastically evolved over the years. Besides pilgrimage seekers, foreigners also visit Gokarna for its unspoiled beaches & landscapes.
Things to See in Gokarna
Some of the prominent attractions of Gokarna are as follows:
• Mahabaleshwara Temple – This temple consists of 6 feet tall Lord Shiva statue. Many structures in this temple are believed to be around 1500 years old. A lot of pilgrimage visitors visit this temple over the year, and as per traditions they first take a dip in Karwar Beach before visiting the temple.
• Om Beach – This beach is famous because it is shaped like the 'Om' symbol used in Hinduism. It is situated just 1 KM away from the town centre.
• Yana Caves – This place is 27 KM far from the town centre and is situated amidst the thick woods of the Western Ghats. It is a great place for nature-lovers and hikers.
• Paradise Beach – This beach can only be reached via a boat or by trekking. The pure water of Paradise Beach and calm surroundings will give you a sense of tranquillity.
Apart from the above, there are many other attractions to explore in Gokarna. You can also visit nearby places such as Mirjan Fort, Kumta, Sirsi, and Yellapur.
Best Time to visit Gokarna
The best time to visit Gokarna is from October to April when the climate is pleasant. Summer is not a good time to visit Gokarna as the temperatures can rise rapidly. It takes around 3-4 days to tour Gokarna including pilgrimage sites, water sports, trekking, beaches, etc. If you are visiting Gokarna from Bangalore or from Goa by bus, you may consider 1 or 2 more to explore nearby attractions.
How to Reach Gokarna
The various ways to reach Gokarna are as follows:
• Air - The nearest airport from Gokarna is the Dabolim Airport situated in Goa. You can find frequent buses from Dabolim Airport, Goa to Gokarna.
• Train - The Ankola railway station is the closest railway station from Gokarna. You can find autos, buses, etc. from the railway station to Gokarna at frequent intervals.
• Bus - You can find buses from various cities to Gokarna like Bengaluru, Mangalore, Hubli, Goa, etc. One can also travel in KSRTC buses to reach Gokarna from different parts of Karnataka.
How to reach Gokarna from Bangalore and Goa
One can find frequent buses from Bangalore to Gokarna. The distance of Bangalore - Goa route is around 483 Km, and it takes 9-10 hours to cover this route by bus. A lot of bus operators service this route like SPD Travels, VRL Travels, GreenLine Travels and Holidays, Shree Kumar Travels, Sea Bird Tourist, etc.
You can also travel from Goa to Gokarna by bus. Buses depart from different places in Goa for Gokarna. The minimum time taken to travel from Cuncolim, Goa to Gokarna is 2 hours 40 mins. The main bus operators who service this route are Paulo Travels and Sugama Tourist.
You can easily book bus tickets online by downloading the redBus mobile application or by visiting the official website. redBus will provide you with a secure online payment system along with a ride rescheduling facility. You can compare the prices and amenities offered by various Gokarna buses and can choose the one that suits your needs.
Top Bus Routes to Gokarna
More than 40 bus operators provide bus services to/from Gokarna. You can easily search buses from various places to Gokarna on the redBus mobile application/website.
Buses to Gokarna from various cities are available at frequent intervals as a lot of pilgrimage seekers/tourists visit this place. Some of the major bus routes to Gokarna are as follows:
- Bangalore to Gokarna
- Goa to Gokarna
- Tumakuru to Gokarna
- Mumbai to Gokarna
- Pune to Gokarna
- Mangaluru to Gokarna
Bus Stops around Gokarna
There are many boarding & drop-off points in Gokarna. redBus lets you search for buses based on a particular bus stop by applying search filters. You can view the number of stop points of any Gokarna bus on redBus at the time of booking bus tickets. Some of the prominent bus-stops around Gokarna are as follows:
• Gokarna Bus Main Stand
• Gokarna Check Post
Average bus ticket price to Gokarna
The bus fare to Gokarna depends on the type of bus and seat booked along with the route selected. The cost of tickets for Gokarna buses from Bangalore starts at INR 500. The ticket price of buses which offer luxurious amenities on-board is generally more than other buses. One can easily see the prices of various buses on their selected route on the redBus mobile application or website. redBus also offers coupon codes and exclusive offers to its users to lower their total ticketing price.