Mount Bromo Tour
About Mount Bromo
Mount Bromo is situated in the East Java province of Indonesia. It is an active volcano and is part of Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park. You can travel to Bromo as the volcano is not always supposed to erupt (the last eruption occurred in 2015). The plain surrounding Mount Bromo is often referred to as the "Sea of Sand". Mount Bromo holds historical importance and is named after the Hindu god Brahma. Many tourists come on Mount Bromo tour every year under guided circumstances to enjoy the mesmerising view from the top.
Most of the tourists travel to the nearby village Cemoro Lawang and hike to Mount Bromo from there. The hike from the Lawang village to Mount Bromo generally takes around 45 minutes. With a height of more than 2000 metres, Mount Bromo peak is a must-visit place for nature buffs.
How to Reach Mount Bromo
Here's how to reach Mount Bromo from the nearest locations - Surabaya and Malang:
• How to Reach Mount Bromo from Surabaya
Surabaya is the nearest major city from Mount Bromo with international flight service. You can get to the Surabaya Bus Station and search for buses to Probolinggo, the nearest town to Mount Bromo. You will find minibuses from the Probolinggo Bus Station to Cemoro Lawang. The minibuses are public buses which only depart once full with a ticket costing around 30,000 rupiahs. You can drop off at your hotel in Cemoro Lawang and can begin the marvellous hike to Mount Bromo. You can also travel to Bromo with a local guide.
• How to Reach Mount Bromo from Malang
Malang also has an airport, and you can reach the Malang Bus Terminal to find buses to Probolinggo. The travel duration of this bus route is around 2 hours and 30 minutes. Frequent Probolinggo buses are available from Malang throughout the day. You can easily find Malang to Probolinggo buses on the redBus mobile application/website.
Top Bus Routes to Mount Bromo
Probolinggo and Malang have the nearest bus stations from Mount Bromo. Some of the top bus routes to the Probolinggo are as follows:
• Surabaya to Probolinggo
• Jakarta to Probolinggo
• Tegal to Probolinggo
• Bekasi to Probolinggo
• Bogor to Probolinggo
Top Bus Stops Around Mount Bromo
Some of the nearest bus stops around Mount Bromo are as follows:
• Kraksaan Bus Stop
• Terminal Bayuangga
• Lawang Bus Stop
• Sub Terminal Madyopuro (Malang City Bus Station)
• Mebel Fahmi Bus Stop
Average Bus Ticket Price to Mount Bromo
You can start your Mount Bromo tour first by taking a bus to Probolinggo from various locations like Surabaya, Denpasar, Jember, Malang. The fare of Probolinggo buses ranges from 20,000 rupiahs (from Bondowoso, Jember, Malang, and Surabaya) to more than 100,000 rupiahs (from Denpasar and Yogyakarta).
You can compare the prices of various buses on redBus and choose a bus that best suits your requirements. The bus fare depends on the route, bus type, and the seat type booked. You can book affordable Probolinggo bus tickets on redBus. The platform provides ride rescheduling and cancellation facilities to its users.
Visiting Hours and Entry Details for Mount Bromo Tour
You will have to pay the Mount Bromo National Park Entrance Fee for visiting Mount Bromo. The entrance fee is around Rp 220.000 to Rp 320.000 depending on weekday or weekend. The entrance fee also consists of an insurance plan for visiting Mount Bromo. The national park is open for visiting at all hours. Many people visit Mount Bromo in the early morning to enjoy the beautiful sunrise view. Make sure to carry a torch on your trip to Bromo as you may be dropped-off before sunrise and it may still be dark.
You should also refer to the Indonesian Centre for Volcanology & Disaster Hazard Mitigation issues before visiting Mount Bromo. Mount Bromo is an active volcano, and these organisations mentioned above inform the public when it is not a good time to visit Mount Bromo.
Best Time to Visit
The best time for Mount Bromo tour is during the dry season, i.e. from May to August. Don't visit Mount Bromo in the rainy season as there is a lot of humidity in Indonesia and the trek route gets slippery. You can also try to visit Mount Bromo at the time of sunrise as it provides a remarkable view at sunrise. The temperature from May to August is bearable in Indonesia and remains between 19° to 32°. You should also follow safety guidelines while travelling to Mount Bromo post-COVID scenario.
Things to See and Do at Mount Bromo
Some of the best things to do and visit around Mount Bromo are as follows:
• Visit Mount Penanjakan – This top is situated around 3 KM far from Mount Bromo, and the Penanjakan 1 Point is 2770 m high (more than Mount Bromo). Make sure to reach around 4 AM at Mount Penanjakan to visit the famous sunrise point. You can also switch to the Penanjakan 2 point to witness sunrise if there are more tourists at the other point.
• Hike to Mentigen Hill – This hill is just 2.5 KM from Mount Bromo and is a great place for witnessing the serenity of nature. Many people also opt for hiking to Mentigen Hill from Cemoro Lawang which is an 8 KM hike. Domestic/foreign tourists and photographers frequently visit this hill.
• Visit Madakaripura Waterfall – This waterfall is situated approximately 11.5 KM far from Mount Bromo and is free to visit. The crystal-clear water falling from a height of 200 metres at Madakaripura Waterfall is an eye-catching view.
• Visit Luhur Poten Temple – This temple of Lord Brahma is situated just 1 KM away from Mount Bromo. This temple is open for pilgrimage seekers 24 hours and is in its 20th year (established in 2000).